[vox-tech] help with xorg.conf

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jun 23 13:36:53 PDT 2009

Thomas Johnston wrote:
> I tried using xrandr but had no luck (see example below).  At best
> when I would restart the machine, kdm would fail to launch.  That is,
> I would boot to a text only login prompt.  I would have to login,
> comment out the offending SubSection Display and restart.
>
> I am wondering if I might need to remove everything associated with x
> and reinstall.  And, if that is a smart thing to do, how would I go
> about doing that?
>

> Thomas
>

> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier	"Default Screen"
> 	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
> 	Device		"Configured Video Device"
> 	DefaultDepth	24
> #   SubSection "Display"
> #	Depth 24
> #	Modes "1680x1050" "1680x1050"
> #	Virtual 3360x1050
> #   EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
> 	Load	"glx"
> 	Load    "randr"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
> 	Driver	"nvidia"
> 	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> 	Option	"DontZap"	"False"
> EndSection

Are you using the open source or the proprietary driver for Nvidia?
Each one might take a different config and work with different tools.
I've been able to use the nvidia-settings tool on my laptop no problem
for a very similar card with 0 tweaks to the xorg config using the
proprietary driver.

Please note as of Ubuntu 8.04 xorg tries to auto detect everything and
I've seen it work fine on dual monitors out of the box with the ubuntu
screen control (Open Source driver). Xorg considers non auto-detected
features to be bugs and does not recommend the manual tweaking of the
xorg file (Although sometimes you just have to)

I can meet you on campus tomorrow(UCD) if you want to look it over and
try to get it working, just email me off list.

Alex
Installfest Coordinator