[vox-tech] Need Partitioning Advice

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Mon Jun 22 23:30:48 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:39:58AM -0700, Gabriel G. Rosa wrote:

> I think Bill's point is that swap spindle optimization is become largely
> irrelevant with cheap and abundant RAM. You can argue it's not a lot
> of extra work to set up, but it's also not a lot of gains to be had
> over time.

My Dell Mini 9 has no swap with its 2 Gigs of RAM. But, the Solid State
Drive (SSD) sure does work great! You can always add swap on the fly for
when you want your system to appear to have more memory.

To create a 1GB file, type (root not required):
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1024 count=1048576

Prepare the swap file using mkswap just as you would a partition, but
this time use the name of the swap file:

$ mkswap /swapfile

Enable it. Now you have to be root.

# swapon /swapfile

But, on 32 bit, the max will be 4 Gigs (Maybe 2) unless you have PAE. Of
course someone is going to point out some bank switching technique I
was not aware of.

I don't know if you saw, but Dell stopped production of the Mini 9. Now,
it's the Vostro A90. I think the Mini 9 will certainly be one of the
great Netbooks recorded in history. Dell/Canonical really smoked it!

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/