[vox-tech] Need Partitioning Advice

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 19 13:30:26 PDT 2009

Quoting Bill Broadley (bill at cse.ucdavis.edu):

> [...] I think it's a particularly bad idea to as Karsten's page says
> make the basic recommendation for 6 partitions.  If you read his page
> it looks like he's pretty strong on /boot and swap partitions as well.
                                      ^^^^^

This is factually incorrect.  As Karsten said, you seem to be imputing
rather than reading.

[skipping most:]

> The flip side is that it requires specialized knowledge (quick, what's
> the optimal /var, /usr, /usr/local for a particular distribution? )
> that's often basically unknowable.

And yet a trained monkey can do "df -h" on a similar installed system,
to guesstimate the target requirement for the system's projected life.

> So what use case adds security by using noexec if /tmp is world
> readable and mounted with exec?

Karsten answered this question, as did I -- and neither of us indulged the
overinflated expectations that the phrase "add security" (your phrase) tends
to introduce into a conversation.

> The page also makes a few mentioned of ro, seems a bit silly.  So if
> only root can write to /usr, and root can remount rw what are you
> protection from?

In short:  yourself.  It's saved me from shooting myself in the foot
quite a number of times.  Once again, both Karsten and I already
addressed this point, so your posing the question yet again seems to be
solely polemics.

> Sure things like putting /tmp on a ram disk sounds like a great idea,

Again this was _not_ among Karsten's recommendations.

> > You'd rather provide an explicit and laundry list of directories (that
> > must then be maintained), when just adding "-x" (don't cross filesystem
> > boundaries) to your rsync command solves that problem entirely?  Really?
>
> Er, yes.

Good luck with that.  I think my point is self-explanatory.

> In any case, by crude partition based backups I meant things like dump
> restore vs [...]

More straw-man argumentation, as Karsten made no such recommendation.

I really will skip the rest.