[vox-tech] Need Partitioning Advice

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 19 04:57:43 PDT 2009

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Gabriel G. Rosa (grosa at ucdavis.edu):
>
>> Note that the OP was talking about his wife's desktop system, not high
>> performance servers.
>
> Note that this mailing list includes subscribers, and subscribers'
> concerns, other than the OP.  ;->
>
> (I don't know about you, but I take at least all of the _easy_ steps to
> make all of my machines be high-performance ones.)

*chuckle*

You mean the easy steps where you take a default install with 3 ish
partitions, then predict the future needs for 7-8 partitions and then tweak
the journal or lack or, various mount flags, and partitioning ordering to
minimize seeks?

That's not _easy_ in my book, especially since the very act of doing so makes
it more likely that additional tweaks will be needed in the future.