[vox-tech] Need Partitioning Advice

Ryan cjg5ehir02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jun 18 10:47:03 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:15:04AM -0700, Bob Scofield scofield-at-omsoft.com |lugod| wrote:
> I'm planning to install Linux on my wife's computer because she does not like
> Vista.  I'm going to create a dual boot and will have 111GB for Linux.

I use and reccomend the following to anyone who is willing to learn it:

500MB: /boot
everything else: LVM2

under LVM2, create volumes of somewhat conservitive size, and LEAVE FREE
SPACE.

EG, in your 111GB drive,
/: 20GB
/home: 60GB

You then may experiance the joy of snapshot, which allow you to create a
copy of a filesystem frozen in time without having to copy anything.

If you use a filesystem such as XFS that supports online resize, you can
englarge your volumes without intterupting work to shut down.

the text based ubuntu/debian installers support LVM2 out of the box.