[vox-tech] Need Partitioning Advice

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 18 10:45:56 PDT 2009

Gandalf Parker wrote:
> Kindof along the same line and for many of the same reasons I never order a machine, desktop or server, that doesnt come with at least 2 hard drives. At minimum level I do compressed file backups to the other drive. Its just basic avoid all-eggs-in-one-basket thinking. (yes there are many levels above that, this is minimum)

Indeed, unless you have other backups at home I recommend two distinct drives
instead of a RAID-1.  RAID-1 is mostly about uptime (survive a disk failure),
but doesn't against a mistaken deletion.  Since the home machine can usually
withstand a reboot a year often the protection against deletion and the
potential for having several versions of a heavily edited file is well worth
skipping the RAID.