[vox-tech] Need Partitioning Advice

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Wed Jun 17 11:15:04 PDT 2009

I'm planning to install Linux on my wife's computer because she does not like
Vista.  I'm going to create a dual boot and will have 111GB for Linux.

I am thinking of a simple partitioning system with separate partitions for:

/
/home
swap

My wife has 2GB of RAM, and I was thinking of making swap 4GB.

My first question is how big should / be?  On my desktop it's 8GB, and on my
laptop it's 13GB.  I'm not anywhere near using up the space on either of
those machines.  How about 13GB?

I notice that my desktop has a separate partition for /tmp.  Should I create a
separate /tmp partition for my wife?  If so, how big should it be?

Is there any special difficulty in creating a dual boot system with Vista?

Thank you.

Bob