[vox-tech] [OT] Soundproof paint?!?

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Jun 11 20:01:20 PDT 2009

Hi all,

My upstairs neighbors aren't "call the cops" loud, but still pretty loud.
The noise is usually either footsteps or a subwoofer.  His subwoofer was on
the floor but was recently raised on top of something.  That made things
better, but I still feel his bass.  Sometimes it seems like my ceiling is
like a guitar soundboard.

I just read about "soundproof paint".  It's very difficult for me to believe
that such a thing works, but I've seen misconceptions on the part of people
saying it couldn't possibly work.  And it's hard finding people who've
actually used it.

I can make arguments for both why it would work and why it wouldn't work (by
"work" I mean reduce the noise perceptibly, even by a small but noticeable
amount.  I know not to expect huge results.).

Can soundproof paint possibly be effective?  Even a little?

Thanks!
Pete