[vox-tech] Large File Server - File System?

Troy Arnold troy-vox at zenux.net
Wed Jul 29 13:42:08 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 02:59:28PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> So I'm putting in a new file server at work.
> RAID 6, 8 TB
> It's purpose is to server large files(1GB+) and large amounts of files
> to local desktops and servers.(About 25 machines and several web services)
>
> 1. What partition scheme would people recommend?
> Yes I read the whole previous thread on this topic.

I'm not touching this :)

> 2. More importantly what file system should we use?
> ext3,ext4,XFS, etc?

When you say "large files" and file server, XFS jumps out as the clear
favorite for that workload.  Efficiently and smoothly handling
large sequential reads was one of its primary design goals.   That
recommendation might be subject to change if your web services will
generate a large amount of filesystem churn.

-t