[vox-tech] Fwd: Sys Restore help and Installfest

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Jan 29 17:24:49 PST 2009

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Steven posted this to 'vox' from an address that's not subscribed.
> I'm forwarding it along on his behalf, and this seems to be a technical
> question, so I'm sending it to 'vox-tech' instead.
>
> Thx,
>
> ----- Forwarded message from vox-bounces at lists.lugod.org -----
>
> The attached message has been automatically discarded.
> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:23:59 -0800
> From: Steven Weiss <scweiss at ucdavis.edu>
> Subject: Sys Restore help and Installfest
> To: vox at lists.lugod.org
>
> Hi,
>
> I had a working dual-boot system since an Installfest over a year ago,
> still running Gutsy, but the hard disk died. I'm looking for help
> getting my system running again ASAP. When will the next Installfest
> be? If not soon, any chance I can get some one-on-one help?
>
> Fortunately both WinXP and Ubuntu partitions along with a 3rd data
> partition are backed up, and I've got a new HD installed. But I
> haven't been able to successfully restore even the Windows image yet.
> (I saw Ubuntu's advice to get the Windows partition running first.)
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Weiss
>
> P.S. I normally subscribe to vox and vox-tech under
> stevew at bbenginc.com, but with my system down, this email
> (scweiss at ucdavis.edu) is much easier to access.

Steve,

We have not finalized a room yet for the installfest, I hope it will be
sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Addressing your specific problem, it depends on how you backed up your
drive. Could you tell us the method you used, or software. Without that
we can't give you good advice.

If it's really urgent we can probably work something out I think this is
what the LERT (Linux Emergency Response Team) is supposed to do, it's
just been inactive for lack of requests. If you're on campus I can also
make arrangements to help you during the week.

Alex