[vox-tech] Wiped out my profile....

Gandalf Parker gandalf at any1can.net
Fri Jan 9 06:28:35 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 04:32:09PM -0800, Aaron wrote:

> If anyone has any input on how to retrieve my lost setting please let me
> know.

I dont specifically know ubuntu yet but...

If you are still logged in anywhere you can do commands like env and set to see what the environmental variables are. I would do those commands and pile them to a file such as env >prof.tmp

The basic profile and such would come from either the system wide one at /etc or the skeleton one for new users (/etc/skelecton?)

And of course someone has to mention (as was always mentioned to me when I did it) that its St. Murphy's way of saying "do backups"

Gandalf  Parker