[vox-tech] Fwd: Re: [OT] Electronics & hardware geek sought

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jan 5 23:35:13 PST 2009

Lee responded from a non-subscribed address. Fwd'ing to the list on his
behalf:

----- Forwarded message from vox-tech-bounces at lists.lugod.org -----

Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 07:05:26 +0000
From: lwelter02 at comcast.net
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Electronics & hardware geek sought
To: "lugod's technical discussion forum" <vox-tech at lists.lugod.org>

Bill,

Check out this (from Wikepedia -- but you will also find other about the same topic:

An accelerometer is a device for measuring acceleration and gravity induced reaction forces. Single- and multi-axis models are available to detect magnitude and direction of the acceleration as a vector quantity,[1] and can be used to sense orientation, vibration and shocks. Accelerometers are present in numerous portable electronic devices and video game controllers, including the iPhone[2] and Nintendo's Wii Remote.[3]

Accelerometers are available in small relatively inexpensive packages with "digital" output or wireless data transmission: see http://www.analog.com/en/mems-and-sensors/imems-accelerometers/adxl202/products/product.html for an example.

If it would be helpful to you, I could try to find that name of a student who several years ago cleverly used such devices to automatically document patient positioning.

Lee Welter

From: Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net>

----- End forwarded message -----