[vox-tech] Hard drive dying?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Feb 24 19:09:15 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:31:33PM -0500, ALLO (Alfredo Lopez De Leon) wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Out IT guy usually chills dying drives for 2-3 hours at 4-6 C and then he tries to extract the info.
> He has a big rate of success with this technique.

Well, nothing has 'sploded yet, and I ran "Keep" in KDE (which uses
rdiff-backup in the backend), together with an ethernet cable
(wifi was taking too long and was affecting everyone else in the
household) to place my home directory onto my NAS.

Now, when I go to fill out those desktop linux surveys, I can finally
answer the question about backup solutions.  :)
(Other than the Linus-y 'put it on an FTP site' answer for my source code)