[vox-tech] Help with USB Hard drive

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Feb 19 14:53:05 PST 2009

ALLO (Alfredo Lopez De Leon) wrote:
>  Hi,
> I have a brand new 1TB USB hard drive formatted by fdisk to FAT32.
> My system can see it mount it and umount it.
> However, no matter what I do I cannot change the permissions or the ownership nothing!
> The root can write but nobody else can.
> I want this drive to be totally accessible to all the users of the machine (actually a server).
>
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> TIA
> Alfredo
> ****************
> This is some info on the drive:
>
> From /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/sdb1     /media/usb     vfat    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed,rw,user 0 0
>
> From /etc/mtab
>
> /dev/sdb1 /media/usb vfat rw 0 0
>
> From /media ls -l
>
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 16384 Jan  1  1970 usb

Try changing your mount in /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb1 	vfat 	defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 	0 2

I think the umask value is the key one here that allows users to access it.

You might want to consider reformatting the drive to another filesystem
if you plan to keep large files, fat is limited to 2GB files.

Alex