[vox-tech] Automatic wifi settings on boot?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Feb 4 10:56:15 PST 2009

Is there an easy way to get a Linux laptop to connect to one of
a number of wireless networks, based on which ESSID it sees?

Last time I checked (kernel has upgraded since), my wifi gets kind of
finicky if it tries to connect to a WAP that isn't there.
(e.g., if I leave my home WAP, which requires a key, in
/etc/network/interfaces but then go boot up at Mishka's or Common Grounds,
it seemed like I needed to alter 'interfaces' and then do a reboot to
ever get it to work... just running 'sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart'
didn't seem enough.)

Once upon a time, I tried providing various interface variations in
/etc/network/interfaces (e.g., "eth1-home", "eth1-mishkas")
but either did it wrong, or it didn't work. :)

Any tips or links to good howtos?  (This is on ubuntu 8.10 btw)