[vox-tech] Kernel not seeing all my RAM

Chanoch (Ken) Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 17:56:59 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 13:07 -0800, Cam Ellison wrote:
> Well, as I go back and read what it actually says in xconfig, it's for a
> 32-bit processor with more than 4G of RAM:
>
> 64GB (HIGHMEM64G)
>
> Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and more than 4
> gigabytes of physical RAM.
>
> The 4GB setting is thus, and I think that's what he needs if he has a
> 32-bit processor:
>
> 4GB (HIGHMEM4G)
>
> Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and between 1 and 4
> gigabytes of physical RAM.
>
> As to my comments about 64-bit processors, I stand corrected.  And thank
> you, Bill, for the additional information.
>
> I'm not going to quote what it says under "off" - it's too long - but
> maybe he should read that and see if he can't find the answer.  My
> interpretation is that it should be Off for a "64-bit processor".

In the kernel configuration, many times options are dependant on other
options (e.g. what good is it to ask about a broadcom wireless card if
you don't want WiFi support in your kernel at all). HIGHMEM4G and
HIGHMEM64G are defined in arch/x86/Kconfig and depend on X86_32, so the
choice doesn't apply to 64-bit kernels, to say nothing of non-Intel
kernels, and doesn't even appear in `make *config` for these kernels.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/