[vox-tech] Legal Ethics Tech Question

Tony Cratz cratz at hematite.com
Thu Dec 17 17:09:02 PST 2009

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 06:38:07PM -0800, Tony Cratz wrote:
>> 	Do you use an outside person or firm to repair your firms
>> 	computers? Have you heard of the news where a chain store
>> 	employee copied personal pictures of the family and put them
>> 	up on the Internet? Why was the employee looking through the
>> 	file system?
>
> Was this Geek Squad?  I've heard tons of bad things about those
> guys.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear other tech repair people
> are just as bad.  (It's kind of like that video I saw a while back
> of a car dealership worker stealing quarters out of a guy's
> car when it was in for maintenance.)

	Well .... yes it was. But it could have been Fry's or any
	chain store. If you remember a movie base on real life staring
	Robin Williams as a photo clerk at Walmart. That *happened*.
	Geek Squad looking in the file tree happened (look how many
	times they have found hidden child porn on a customer computer)
	and then reported it to the police. If it was hidden how did
	they find it just doing a simple repair? Is it possible they
	were doing more then a simple repair? Is it possible they
	were looking through files looking for ID information to
	steal to latter sell? Or were they collecting E-mail addresses
	to spam latter?

	Bottom line, if you are not watching the repair as it is
	being done, don't trust the person doing it.

	I try to take the high road when I work on others computer,
	if at all possible I want them there while I'm doing the work.
	If they go to give me a password I suggest they change it first
	and then again after we are finished. If I'm left alone with
	the computer. I ONLY do what I was asked to do an no more.
	My job is not to make sure every program works, or to look
	at the browser history, or to look at every image on the
	computer. My job was to make sure the computer works and that
	was it.

							Tony