[vox-tech] Et tu, Debian

Richard Harke paleopenguin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 20:03:53 PST 2009

Recent news that some MS users are locked out of their files by a screw up
at MSN.
Well, Debian has me locked out of some files. I have some data in an
encrypted
file system and I use loopback and cryptsetup to get to it. I very recently
installed
lenny for amd64, then today after I installed cryptsetup I found it would
not run.
Error message:
Command failed: Incompatible libdevmapper 1.02.27 (2008-06-25)(compat) and
kernel driver
There is only one version of libdevmapper on the debian site for stable,
testing and unstable.
There is a different verion of cryptsetup for testing (I'm running stable)
but it won't install
due to other conflicts. Despite the version in the error message, ldd shows
that
cryptsetup is looking for libdevmapper.so.1.02.1
The debian site gives 1.02.1 as the version of the package but says the
library is at
version 1.02.27

Can anyone make sense of this?

Richard harke