[vox-tech] Legal Ethics Tech Question

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Tue Dec 15 17:45:22 PST 2009

On Monday 14 December 2009, Tony Cratz wrote:

> >> 	Second question is are you accessing your work desktop via
> >> 	the Internet?
> >
> > My desktop connection is with a cable and a router.  It's not wireless.
>
> 	You missed understand my question, Alex and I said the same
> 	thing. If you are using WiFi on your laptop to remotely
> 	connect to your desktop you need to use some VPN style
> 	software. The weak point is your laptop using WiFi. That
> 	side needs to be secure and you need a tunnel between
> 	the laptop and desktop which is encrypted thus the VPN
> 	software.

Right, I misread the question.  I am not accessing my desktop via the
Internet.  (Which I take to mean that I don't want VPN for what I am doing.)

I'm studying everyone's responses, and checking some stuff out on the
Internet.  I'm leaning toward buying a commercial disk encryption program and
a firewall.  I can now see that my laptop should be encrypted regardless of
whether I am using a wireless connection.

I appreciate people responding to a legal ethics question that they otherwise
would not be interested in.  So a specific "Thank You" to Tony, Alex, Bill
Broadley, and Brian.

Bob