[vox-tech] Legal Ethics Tech Question

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Tue Dec 15 15:50:34 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:06:11PM -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:

> I've got a dual boot laptop, but I have to use Windows for my legal work.
> Supposedly Windows XP has a firewall, though I've never used it.  But note
> that the opinion talks about having to use both a firewall and an encryption
> device.

> So what is an "encryption device" that I can use to comply with the
> ethics opinion when I am using Windows Internet Explorer to connect to the
> web?

When you connect to a web site using https://www.whateversite.blah uses
an encrypted tunnel. A VPN connection uses a encryption. So, if you
connect to your home or office. And, if you use ssh, that is using an
encryption device. This is encryption over the network.

Computer A <------------> Computer B
              SSL (ie https:// )
	      VPN (i.e. OpenVPN)
	      SSH tunnel (SSH with a forwarding tunnel)

But, you could also encrypt the file and send it.

File A ---> Advanced Encrption Standard (AES) ---> File A Encrypted.
             GPG or PGP

If you turn on Windows Firewall, I would say it should be reasonable.

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/