[vox-tech] 2 Network cards not getting along

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Dec 14 23:16:07 PST 2009

Tony Cratz wrote:
> Alex Mandel wrote:
>> This is probably a strange use case, and I'm aware it's not optimum but
>> I need to get it to work while a more long term solution is discussed.
>>
>> I have a server
>> It has 2 network cards
>> card 1 is serving a website to the world and is on subnet 1
>> card 2 is serving a database, and samba share and is on subnet 2
>>
>> While card 2 is turned on, people on subnet 2 are unable to see the
>> website, though the rest of the world can. It doesn't matter if they use
>> the domain name, the subnet 1 ip or the subnet 2 ip address, they all
>> timeout. If I turn card 2 off everybody can see the website.
>
> 	I have not seen any response to this so let me try a couple
> 	of suggestions.
>
> 	1) Create a static route on the second network to route the
> 	webserver IP to the main server.
>
> 	2) Use a static route to route from the internal network
> 	to the second NIC card on the web server.
>
> 	3a) Create an internal DNS server which is master for the
> 	web server zone.
>
> 	3b) Have all internal systems use the new name server.
>
> 	4) Have your gateway/router set up to route between the
> 	internal network and the web server (works much like a
> 	static route but you don't have to set it up on all of the
> 	systems).
>
> 	I like options #3 and #4. For myself my gateway/router does
> 	this for me. If you use both #3 and #4 you are better off.
>
> 	If you would like to talk about this more please contact
> 	me off list.
>

> 							Tony

Could you clarify a few things about some of the ideas?

On 3, when you say internal, what where are you referring to?
Should I have been more clear that subnet 2 connects to the outside
world on it's own, it's not an "internal network". My 2nd nic is simply
another machine on an existing network.
That said I don't understand the DNS issue considering I currently get
to either nic in testing by IP address and it still behaves the same
way. Also I don't have control over the real DNS server that points the
outside world to our webserver.(Not sure if that matters, since I
clearly only partially understand this stuff)

4 - this solution means turning off the 2nd nic and essentially bridging
the networks?

Thanks,
Alex