[vox-tech] 2 Network cards not getting along

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Dec 14 12:34:27 PST 2009

This is probably a strange use case, and I'm aware it's not optimum but
I need to get it to work while a more long term solution is discussed.

I have a server
It has 2 network cards
card 1 is serving a website to the world and is on subnet 1
card 2 is serving a database, and samba share and is on subnet 2

While card 2 is turned on, people on subnet 2 are unable to see the
website, though the rest of the world can. It doesn't matter if they use
the domain name, the subnet 1 ip or the subnet 2 ip address, they all
timeout. If I turn card 2 off everybody can see the website.

So how do I even begin to troubleshoot this issue?

In the long run this could all be avoided by relaxing the firewall rules
 to allow both subnets access to the various ports it needs, but for
whatever reason there is a hardware firewall on subnet 1 that I have 0
control over. It's removal has been requested but that might take a few
months. Besides that I can't think of a reason why the setup wouldn't work.

(Server is Apache 2.2, Ubuntu 8.04)
subnet 1 has no domain controller
subnet 2 has a windows domain controller (probably Win Server 2008,
maybe still 2003)

Thanks,
Alex