[vox-tech] Perl - reading fixed width formats

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Aug 13 09:44:40 PDT 2009

On Thu 13 Aug 09,  9:20 AM, Ted Deppner <ted at psyber.com> said:

> Hope this is helpful.  Sounds like an interesting project.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

The project is kind of interesting.  The files hold financial data from
banks around the world.  The quants here use SAS and they wrote a SAS
program to process them in a certain way that's needed for further
processing.

The problems are that:

   1. SAS is sluggish to begin with.
   2. SAS memory management is poor - they often get "out of memory"
         conditions that kills the process.
   3. SAS speed is very fragile with respect to system load.  Good under
         no load, but slow under any kind of load.

The idea is for me to try doing in Perl under Linux what SAS is trying to
do under Windows.  So it's kind of a footrace between SAS on Windows
versus Perl on Linux.

I haven't touched Perl since leaving UCD.  Maybe a few things here and
there, but nothing like I used to do.  I've been doing mostly Java and
VBA since moving to the east coast.

Pete

Last night I dreamt of 09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
Facebook: http://facebook.com/coffeeAchiever

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today   p at dirac.org
is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent  http://www.dirac.org
are full of doubt"   ---   Bertrand Russell