[vox-tech] Kubuntu (KDE4) and power button

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Aug 3 15:19:29 PDT 2009

Ok, I have not figured out where, in KDE4, to tell my system to _NOT_
"shut down immediately, no questions asked" when the power button is pushed.
(Which my son loves to do, so he can see the big kubuntu logo during shutdown.)

When I click the batter icon in the Plasma taskbar, "Guidance Power Manager"
comes up, but the closest thing I see is for "When Laptop Lid Closed", which
is not it.  (It's set to 'Suspend', which works fine.)

I tried hitting [Alt]+[F2] to bring up KRunner, and typed "power"...

The "Power Control" control module allows configuration for external displays;
not what I'm looking for.

Under "Power Management" control module, there's an "Edit Profiles" section.
Inside there, under 'Actions', there is a "When Power Button Pressed" setting.
Under all 5 categories ("Aggressive Powersave", "Performance", etc.), I made
sure it's set to "Do nothing."  However, hit the power button and Linux
begins shutting down immediately.

Finally, there's "Power Management Backend" section in the "Hardware"
control module.  The only option is "HAL-Power."

See a script, 'powerbtn.sh', in my /etc/acpi/ directory.
Just glancing at it, and not trying to invoke my limited knowledge of
BASH syntax, it looks like it first tries to talk to GNOME, then KDE,
then as a last resort, issues an '/sbin/shutdown -h now'.

I guess I should just blow away, chmod or modify that script, eh?
Or is there something I can do to 'fix' it, so that when the power button is
hit, KDE does the right thing?

Since my laptop had Ubuntu factory-installed, and hence started life
with GNOME, perhaps there's some GNOME setting that's getting picked
up by the ACPI script first.  (i.e., I'm telling KDE "do nothing," but
GNOME is telling it "shutdown", and it's NOT a matter of the ACPI script
hitting its "if all else failed, just initiate a plain shutdown" logic.)

Thanks in advance,

Sent from my computer