[vox-tech] Medibuntu

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Thu Apr 30 19:44:21 PDT 2009

Aaron Brayton wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was reading some linux related news articles today and came across this:
>
> http://www.dailygyan.com/2008/11/10-things-you-should-do-immediately.html
>
> Which in turn led me to this:
>
> http://www.medibuntu.org/index.php
>
> What are your opinions of these?  I can only assume that I have flash
> and apple codec installed as I watch movie trailers from the apple
> website, and flash applications seem to work.

They work for me, flash, java plugin, movie playing and related seem to work well.

> However, I tried to watch a DVD a few minutes ago and the 20 second MGM
> banner played, but nothing else.

Umm, which program ran?  Pretty sure you can set any to install.  Sometimes
playback is separate from menu navigation, not to mention GUI.  VLC, g/xine,
g/mplayer, totem, and others are possible choices.

> I just wanted to get some input/feedback before I downloaded the packs.

Seems much better than the ugly hacks that people used to run, um, I don't
even remember the name.  I'd definitely avoid anything that asks you to run a
script so it can read/write random files on your machine.

Have you seen https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs?