[vox-tech] Fwd: Re: Window Managers

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Apr 22 14:56:45 PDT 2009

Henry posted from a non-subscribed address, so this was discarded.

----- Forwarded message from vox-tech-bounces at lists.lugod.org -----

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:30:04 -0700
From: Henry House <hajhouse at hajhouse.org>
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Window Managers
To: "lugod's technical discussion forum" <vox-tech at lists.lugod.org>

On Wednesday, 22 April 2009, Brian Lavender wrote:
> At school (Sac State) we log into a CENTOS system running GNOME, or I
> believe you can select your own Window Manager, and all seems to work
> fine. I hate VNC though. I haven't found a way for Alt-tab to work
> except with TightVNC, click the Alt key and then select Tab. Which still
> doesn't really work. The Alt-tab always go to the local host.
>
> RDP seems to work a whole lot better. There isn't an RDP server for
> GNU/Linux, is there?

There is one: Xrdp: <http://xrdp.sourceforge.net/>.

It actually uses a VNC server, transparently, to encapsulate the user's
session. When it works, it's nifty: the VNC server is started
transparenently, system authentication is used instead (no special
password just for VNC required), and users can reattach to their
session.

I have been messing around with it. Unfortunately, it has not been
reliable in my testing. The main issue is that certain clients
(typically the PDF viewers) cause the X server (VNC session) to die,
then you end up with a phantom VNC process that is difficult to remove.
This might be a strictly VNC problem for which Xrdp is not to blame.
Nevertheless, I've decided that right now the system is not worth the
effort. :(

--
Henry House
+1 530 848-1238