[vox-tech] Blu-ray: How crazy would I be if...

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:39:25 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Chris Jenks <chris at jenks.us> wrote:

>   The CD was fine the first time I used it. Then I carried it around for a
> month. It must have become blemished.

CDs are extremely fragile. The recording layer is on the top of the
platter protected only by a layer of laquer which is easily
contaminated by fingers touching the top surface. A DVD in contrast
has the recording layer sandwiched between two equally thick
polycarbonate platters and so is not subject to the same contamination
as a CD. Otoh you can destroy a burnt DVD by dropping it on its edge
on a hard surface which can cause the 2 platters to delaminate. I'd
expect BlueRay to be at least as reliable as DVD

>>> I just bought a 1.5GB USB drive at Fry's for $129 with no rebate.
>>
>> I hope you mean a 1.5TB USB drive.
>>
>> --Ken
>
>   Yes, 1.5 TB. These big numbers make my head swim, and I'm not used to
> saying TB yet.
>
>   - Chris

In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!