[vox-tech] Blu-ray: How crazy would I be if...

Chris Jenks chris at jenks.us
Tue Apr 21 08:32:38 PDT 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> I *really* want disk storage that's larger than 4.7GB.
>
> I've been looking at Blu-ray, and thought maybe it's worth investigating.

   Maybe I've been extremely unlucky, but I've found optical media to be
extremely unreliable when the whole disk has to read perfectly. It may be
OK to have a few frames missing from a movie, but even just yesterday I
had to finish an Ubuntu install by hand because the desktop files were
corrupted on the CD.

   You could get 9GB by going to dual layer DVD, but I would recommend
using USB hard drives for your storage. The cost should be no more than
ten cents/GB (about the same cost as blu-ray), but it should be much more
reliable and more versatile too since you can rewrite. I just bought a
1.5GB USB drive at Fry's for $129 with no rebate. You could probably save
slightly more by using an enclosure and internal SATA drives for storing
data.