[vox-tech] Window Managers

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Tue Apr 21 07:47:16 PDT 2009

I have a hosted server running Ubuntu 8.04 and would like to install
a simple, lightweight window manager for use with VNC.  Mostly this
is so I can conduct shared sessions for working with others.  Ideally
it would be reasonably intuitive for those familiar with Windows,
Gnome or KDE.

Problem is, there are too many choices!  aewm, blackbox, evilwm,
flwm, fvwm, icewm, jwm, lwm, metacity, tinywm, twm, and more.

I tried twm and metacity so far.  twm is ugly.  metacity is nice but
doesn't do much by itself (e.g. no task bar or launcher), and adding
gnome-panel or gnome-control-center brings in a whole bunch of stuff
that I don't want or need.

Any suggestions?

Thanks....

Rod