[vox-tech] Utility to image a hard drive

Jan W jcwynholds at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 07:29:42 PDT 2009

Some things of note:

If you use any kind of Logical Volume Management (LVM) and setup the disc in such a way that everything is installed on an LV, you can back things up easier.  It gives you a bit more flexibility on a layer below the filesystem.

Fedora, RedHat Enterprise (and the clones) have been by default setting this up.  I have a problem with this going in by _default_.  LVM is a bit of a curve ball to deal with on a system.  The  is great (hot backups, mirroring, etc) but can confuse a new user who does a default kitchen sink install.  I've just had to explain it quite a few times.

It might be worth thinking about if your systems grow beyond hobby/testing.

I would like to hear what others use to healthy backups in production environments.

--cheers

jan

"The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the
mind of the oppressed."
-- Steven Biko
("White Racism and Black Consciousness", in I Write What I Like)