[vox-tech] Utility to image a hard drive

Richard Mancusi vrman49 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 15:11:38 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 16:51, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev at wildintellect.com):
>
>> There's also a text based tool called backup ninja which writes the
>> rsync scripts for you and several rysnc gui's to help teach you the
>> syntax which can be tricky, grsync.
>
> I have to admit, I really don't get this -- but, on the other hand,
> haven't tried 'em.  Plain old rsync always struck me as blessedly simple.
> "rsync -avz olddirectory newdirectory" Just Plain Works -- and
> generalises to
> "rsync -avz olddirectory username at newhost:newdirectory" for network
> copying (esp. if you set RSYNC_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh).
>
> There are options you use rarely, such as:
>
>    --delete   #Update destination dirs to remove files no longer needed
>    --exclude=PATTERN
>    --exclude-from=FILE
> ...but I need those only rarely, and look 'em up when I do.

I am with Rick - however I do use some options.  Looked at grsync and
decided a quick script fit my needs better.  I want to backup from one
computer to another each night.  If I have a hardware problem, simply
grab the other computer.  Actually I do it to 3 computers.  Following
is a rough outline of what I do.  Yes I understand some of it is redundant
and the log is for the most part an unnecessary habit.

------
#!/bin/bash
DATE=`date`
echo $DATE BackUp Started: T61 192.168.9.48 to T61p 192.168.9.49 >>
rsync_to_T61p.log
rsync -e ssh -raPH -v >> rsync_to_T61p.log --delete (lots of stuff here)
(more stuff, and eventually)
echo $DATE BackUp Finished: T61 192.168.9.48 to T61p 192.168.9.49 >>
rsync_to_T61p.log
echo >> rsync_to_T61p.log
echo >> rsync_to_T61p.log
------