[vox-tech] Fwd: Trouble installing Matlab in Debian

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Apr 8 18:31:35 PDT 2009

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev at wildintellect.com):
>
>> I had a similar issue with the Oracle installer.
>> I believe the solution was to disable the xhost security with:
>> sudo xhost+
>> then change to root
>> sudo su
>> sh install
>
> For a list of methods that don't involve crippling system security,
> please see:  "Root w/X11" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Security/

As far as I can tell xhost+ only lasts for that x-session and can easily
be reactivated with xhost-
And it is listed in your reference xhost+root, specifying the user never
worked for me, hence the blanket for all users.

It also appears to be the preferred and most common solution for using
the oracle installer as it's quick and simple.

Ah yes export DISPLAY=:0.0 is also part of the solution but no most of
the stuff on the page you reference did not work in my case.

Thanks for the reference of ideas,
Alex