[vox-tech] Fwd: Trouble installing Matlab in Debian

Gabriel G. Rosa grosa at ucdavis.edu
Wed Apr 8 12:52:45 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 11:09:50AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Thomas posted this from a non-subscribed address, so the mailman list admin
> software discarded it.  (Thomas, you need to be subscribed before you can
> post :) -- and nice meeting you at the social gathering last night!)
>
> -bill!
>
> ----- Forwarded message from vox-tech-bounces at lists.lugod.org -----
>
> Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 07:26:52 -0700
> From: Thomas Johnston <trjohnston at gmail.com>
> Subject: Trouble installing Matlab in Debian
> To: vox-tech at lists.lugod.org
>
> I attended the LUGOD social gathering yesterday evening and
> some of the members suggested I pitch my question here.
>
> I converted to Linux (Debian lenny) about 1 week ago and attempted to
> install Matlab.  I have an ISO of the Matlab CD on my hard drive.  I
> mount the ISO and attempt to install the software by issuing the
> command:
>
> sh install
>
> The error that is generated reads:
>
> An error status was returned by the program 'xsetup', the X Window
> System version of 'install'. The following messages were written to
> standard error:
>
> No protocol specified
> Can't open display.
>
> Attempt to fix the problem and try again.  If X is not available or
> 'xsetup' cannot be made to work then try the terminal version of
> 'install' using the command:
>
> install* -t or INSTALL* -t
>
> Sorry! Setup aborted ...
>

> yes, the install attempt was done while under root.  I could a
> relevant fix via a Google search nor in the archived tech messages on
> this mailing list.
>
> Thanks in advance,

I'm assuming you're doing this from a root terminal within a user
X session.

Instead of becoming root via "su -" (or however the "root terminal"
widget gets root) try instead to ssh into your local machine with X
forwarding enabled, ie:

ssh -X root at localhost

This will setup your display for you and allow Matlab to open its install
window. (although it requires that your machine be running sshd, and
that sshd be configured to accept X forwarding, and that you have root
login enabled).

It's been a while since I've installed Matlab. I don't remember exactly
how to get the non-X setup going, but have you tried...?

sh install -t

> Thomas
>
> "Speak slowly, I am windows user."

Heh.