[vox-tech] Video problem with Ubuntu Server install

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Tue Sep 23 17:41:31 PDT 2008

How about serial console? Dump the monitor all together!

Here is one howto.
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Serial/serial-console.html

I have a server where everything goes to serial console including the
capability to modify the bios settings at bootup. There are settings for
grub, the kernel, your bios, and getty.

brian

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 05:02:38PM -0700, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
> Yeah, looks pretty bad, dunnit?
>
> But that doesn't explain why some of the text is scrambled. The whole
> point was: there's nothing wrong with the monitor. If it was a monitor
> problem, the login prompt might be distorted, but how would it be
> substituting letters?
>

> On Sep 22, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>
> > Try a different monitor.  That looks like the effects of a low-
> > quality or
> > dying monitor.
> >
> > You can also look into fbset, but near as I can tell (I haven't used
> > it)
> > that program is greatly limited by the options available through the
> > usual
> > drivers.

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/