[vox-tech] Video problem with Ubuntu Server install

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Tue Sep 23 00:24:57 PDT 2008

Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
> Very well, my monitor has been voted Most Likely to Fail. I'll bring
> the little black box into work tomorrow and try it on my monitors there.

Monitor, video card or settings.  Does it look at all strange in the BIOS
screens?

The screen just looks slightly wrapped and replicated.  Much of what is on the
left edge is also repeated near the right edge.  Have you tried different text
console modes.  I believe there's some boot console mode settings so you coudl
try 80x25, 80x40, and a handful of others.  Seeing the same problems across
different modes (or in BIOS) would strongly indicate a hardware problem.

Even with a hardware problem (analog monitors tend to fail in strange ways)
you might be able to minimize it by switching to a different mode.