[vox-tech] Slow boot with Ubuntu 7.10

Tony Cratz cratz at hematite.com
Sun Sep 7 13:39:43 PDT 2008

Kyle Oliveira wrote:
> Hey all,
> I installed Gutsy a few days ago and it takes 10-20 minutes to boot. I know
> it's a documented problem that has to do with the usplash, but I've
> followed all the advice I could find (particularly the instructions given
> here:
> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Gutsy#Fix_Slow_boot.2Ffaulty_splash_screen
> ) and it doesn't seem to be getting any faster. Has anyone else had to deal
> with this problem, and if so what do you suggest? If I brought this in to
> the next installfest would someone be interested in tuning this thing?
> Thanks,

	My first thought is have you tried it with 'nosplash' to see
	how long it takes to fully come up. If it still takes 10-20
	minutes then there are other issues.

	In grub setting it to 'nosplash' will cause it to skip the
	splash screen and it will show all of the boot up text. This
	can also help you find the area(s) which is taking longer.

							Tony