[vox-tech] burn directories to CDs

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Fri Oct 31 14:45:14 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 07:22:49PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> > harke wrote:

> >> You'll first need a file system on the cd
> >> so you could do
> >>      mkfs -t ext2 /dev/cdrom
> >>
> >> Notice that it is perfectly feasible to put an ext2 file system
> >> on a cd Of course certain other operating systems will not be
> >> able to read it.
> >>
> >> If you prefer to stick to an iso file system, just use the usual tools.
> >
> > I suppose if you want to be obscure, dumping data to /dev/cdrom is
> > one way... I prefer making my backups as self-documenting and simple
> > as possible.
> >
> > I also recognize that it is feasible to put alternate filesystems on a CDR,
> > but the above mkfs command won't work, given the fact that any data written
> > to a CDR must be written in one pass with no modifications, and mkfs lays
> > out data structures throughout the device file in random access fashion
> > with the expectation that data and directory entries will be modified later.
> >
> > I think Brian's requirement to support multi-disk backups in standard
> > directory layout is a tall order... though there might be a tool out there
> > that supports this.  Seems like it would be hard to allocate disk usage
> > among small and large files in arbitrary directories on multiple volumes.
> > Read-only LVM? (very obscure... why bother with the directory structure?)
> >

> This reminded me, back in the day when you could span zip files at
> 1.44MB in order to put it across multiple floppies.
>
> And hence a solution...
> tar them with a max size option, the archive will be split at the given
> size and start a new file.
> http://www.base64.co.uk/splitting-large-files/
>
> Maybe not exactly browsable, but probably so from a graphical archive
> tool except for the 1 split file between the spans.

No, no, no. This is a very simple problem. No splitting of files is
allowed. These are all files that will fit within one CD.

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/k3b/+question/11427

K3b doesn't seem to work, and the multicd seems to still use commands
from 2001. It refers to the CD burner as a scsi device. But, I can
probably hack multicd. I just want a CD I can put in the CD drive and
browse the files so that they are in the same directory structure as
original.

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/