[vox-tech] burn directories to CDs

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Oct 28 19:06:08 PDT 2008

harke wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 October 2008 08:49, Tim Riley wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 18:56 -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>>> harke wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> I am mystified why (or how) one would use cpio to copy files to a cdrom.
>>> Can you elaborate?
>> $ find . -print | cpio -p /dev/cdrom ? ;-)
>>
> You'll first need a file system on the cd
> so you could do
>      mkfs -t ext2 /dev/cdrom
>
> Notice that it is perfectly feasible to put an ext2 file system
> on a cd Of course certain other operating systems will not be
> able to read it.
>
> If you prefer to stick to an iso file system, just use the usual tools.

I suppose if you want to be obscure, dumping data to /dev/cdrom is
one way... I prefer making my backups as self-documenting and simple
as possible.

I also recognize that it is feasible to put alternate filesystems on a CDR,
but the above mkfs command won't work, given the fact that any data written
to a CDR must be written in one pass with no modifications, and mkfs lays
out data structures throughout the device file in random access fashion
with the expectation that data and directory entries will be modified later.

I think Brian's requirement to support multi-disk backups in standard
directory layout is a tall order... though there might be a tool out there
that supports this.  Seems like it would be hard to allocate disk usage
among small and large files in arbitrary directories on multiple volumes.
Read-only LVM? (very obscure... why bother with the directory structure?)

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing