[vox-tech] burn directories to CDs

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Oct 27 18:56:50 PDT 2008

harke wrote:
> On Monday 27 October 2008 11:03, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> Brian Lavender wrote:
>>> I want to take a file system and burn it to CDs. But I want the files on
>>> the CDs visible and not in some split tar or cpio format. Say I have a
>>> directory with various sub directories and 2000 photos that I can burn
>>> to multiple CDs that still maintains the directory structure.
>>>
>>> brian
>> Did you want a CLI or Graphical tool. K3B does exactly what you want but
>> it's graphical. Under gnome you could also try Brasero but I haven't
>> used it that much.
>>
>> Alex
>
> You could use cpio with the pass-through option. his does
> not use or create an archive. You'll probably need some other options
> like make-directories

I am mystified why (or how) one would use cpio to copy files to a cdrom.
Can you elaborate?

I guess Brian was attempting to use a disk backup tool rather than
a cd burning tool.  I have used the following:

cmdline: cdrecord ... need to generate an ISO with mkisofs, but this can
   be done on the fly.
GUI: K3B data mode... works great, less bother.

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing