[vox-tech] Installfest Confirmation

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Nov 9 11:22:17 PST 2008

Aaron Brayton wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Thank you for all your help today.  However, I think installing the
> generic backport package caused my wired ethernet connect to disappear.
>
> When I got home, I tried connecting to my hidden wireless router.  It
> would not work.  So I tried using the wired connection.  It won't work,
> doest exist.  So I tried to load b44.  It doesn't exist.  So I
> uninstalled the generic backport package.
>
> I changed the wireless router such that it is no longer hidden, and I
> easily connect.  For some reason I can't connect to the hidden network.
>
> 1.  How do I get b44 back and the wired ethernet connection.
> 2.  Is there a trick to connecting to a hidden network?
>
> Thank you so much.  I really hate to bother you with questions outside
> of the installfest, but I thought I'd ask you since the ideas should
> still be fresh in your mind.
>
> Thanks!
> Aaron

Aaron,

I'm not sure about why you can't connect to the hidden network,
sometimes it just doesn't work right and it can either be the network
tool or the drivers (the first being more likely). There are plenty of
other options for network tools to try before disabling the backports.

As for the wired connection that too can just be the software that
controls the network. Sometimes you have to manually turn off the
wireless and turn on the wired.

Look at what is listed with
ifconfig

Do you see an eth0
Do you see an eth1, wlan1 or some other card that could be the wireless one.

sudo ifdown wlan0 (or whatever it likes to call you card)
sudo ifup eth0

and vice versa to switch back.

I copied this email to vox-tech and suggest that you join that list to
ensure you get further responses from others.

Alex