[vox-tech] default pdf viewer in gnome

Carl Boettiger cboettig at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 22:13:01 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I use gnome with compiz, and I find that the evince document viewer
uses a lot of my memory (>100MB!) and also doesn't display fonts
clearly in some pdf articles.  For these and other reasons, I've
started using kde4's okular, which works very well (also has nice new
features).  I'd like to set it to the default (of firefox, and of
gnome when I double-click on a pdf for instance), but I can't figure
out how to do this.  Any ideas?

Suggestions as to why evince uses so much memory would also be good, I
worry it means something else is wrong.  Stopping compiz helps a
little but not a lot.  While I'm complaining about memory use, firefox
uses a lot of my RAM too (100-200 mb), suggestions to fix this or
alternate browsers to try would be great.  Thanks all for help on the
C code question by the way.

Carl