[vox-tech] latest vmware problems

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 11:40:46 PDT 2008

Hi,

After a recent VMware related crash, I downloaded the latest VMware
workstation software (5.5.6).

The installer worked fine, however when compiling the kernel modules I get a
segmentation fault when vmmon.o is inserted into the kernel.

Some details:
Debian/Unstable
2.6.16-2-686-smp #1 SMP Fri Aug 18 19:25:21 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

# the script attemps this:
sudo insmod -p /tmp/vmware-config7/vmmon.o

# and results in this:
Segmentation fault

Unable to make a vmmon module that can be loaded in the running kernel:
There is probably a slight difference in the kernel configuration between the
set of C header files you specified and your running kernel.  You may want to
rebuild a kernel based on that directory, or specify another directory.

As far as I can tell I am using the stock kernel headers that match the runnin
kernel:

/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.16-2-686-smp

If the kernel has been changed on a recent update I would have been notified
by aptitude, right?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dylan