[vox-tech] Marking Audio file based on Freq.

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Tue Mar 11 18:17:05 PDT 2008

> I should clarify, it's an Owl with a low hooting sound at night in
> remote forest areas, in order to replicate it in the field we use
> subwoofers. I'll get more details on the exact frequencies when I'm in
> the office tomorrow.

Ah, that seems like an owl might be easier than most other bird calls.

A recording of a hoot would be even more useful, that way a display of
the frequencies used over time could be calculated.

> Making a list of times isn't a bad way to go, and I'll look at that some
> more.

Sure, it would also be relatively easy to have it figure out all the closest
matches and then play them and allow an operator to say y/n.   If you match
the "fingerprint" of the sound instead of just a single frequency peak I
suspect you could get pretty good accuracy even when the same frequencies
are created by thunder, coyotes, trees groaning in the wind, etc.