[vox-tech] Clustering two Linux machines

Harold Lee harold at hotelling.net
Mon Mar 10 14:52:13 PDT 2008

On Mar 10, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Matin Hashemi wrote:

> I would like to know how to make two Linux machines work as one
> computer. [...] I just want to add another computer [...] and make
> it more powerful.

What are you trying to speed up?

Examples:

To provide more CPU for a multi-user interactive environment, look at
distributed filesystems like NFS that'll allow users to log into
either machine and get the same $HOME.

If you want to speed up C/C++ compiling, look at distcc.

For web applications, you can use various tricks to send different
users to different machines.

If you've written a program and you want it to run faster, you likely
need to add logic to take advantage of 2+ machines, and some libraries
and kernel enhancements can make this easier (e.g. shared memory
synchronized between machines using the network).

etc.