[vox-tech] Possible for future installfest

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jun 23 00:04:41 PDT 2008

Tony Cratz wrote:
> Hello:
>
> 	At the last regular meeting it was suggested we try to
> 	get more people to show to the install fest by not only
> 	helping with installs but also having a topic we cover
> 	which might help others learn about Linux.
>

> 	One of the common issues which always come up is the
> 	desire to connect a Linux system to the home network
> 	and be able to share files with Microsoft systems.
> 	Therefore I suggest we use the topic of how to share
> 	and copy files. This can include Samba, SCP, NTFS-3G
> 	and FTP.
>

> 	I have never done anything with Samba myself so for
> 	me this would also be a learning experience. I have used
> 	SCP and FT{ and have mounted local drive via NTFS and VFAT.
>
> 	Another idea might be how to use a Linux system to scan a
> 	Microsoft disk for viruses using clamav.
>

> 							Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the ideas, I think file sharing on a local network would be a
great topic. I've done a little bit of samba and even printer over samba
but never did figure out how to get netbios names to show up right. I
also hear that Vista changed the way the protocols work and there are
some samba patches in the pipeline for that.

To add to your list mounting NFS would be good too, along with maybe
webdav or other options. We could leave media server stuff for another
time since simple file sharing does not work well for that.

My suggestion to anyone interested in this topic is that we make a
wishlist on
http://daviswiki.org/Installfest

I already tossed some of my ideas on there of which I know the answers
to some but not all.

Alex