[vox-tech] latest vmware problems

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Wed Jun 4 21:25:23 PDT 2008

Seems like with VMWare, there is often a gotcha, so I have tried
Virtualbox.  I have been using VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04 and it works
well. Ubuntu has had a couple updates on the kernel and I just use
module assistant to update things. I did notice a slight hiccup with
the deb packaged modules for Virtualbox on Ubuntu, but the open source
will also make the vbox module. I also have my networking on a bridge
and I am using dnsmasq to provide a private network to my VMs. My VMs
operate in a private subnet.  I can copy and paste from w2k. I runs fast
too. I have a system with the vmx instruction set(Intel-VT) and I just
ran primes in a Debian VM and its time was faster than the host.

brian

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 04:37:01PM -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> > > There are modified versions of the vmware modules that let you run on
> > > older/newer kernels (and contain other fixes).

> > > That's certainly older.  Generally vmware doesn't support older/newer
> > > kernels and they're pretty specific on a particular kernel range for a
> > > particular version.
> > >
> > > google for vmware-any-any in a .cz TLD and try those modules.
> > >
> > > (it's also linked from the wikipedia vmware entry)
> >
> > Thanks for the tips Wes. I had tried the vmware-any-any patch, and get the
> > same result... dang!
>
> At long last -- a fix is found:
>
> http://communities.vmware.com/message/650674
>

> --