[vox-tech] Weird problem with Synaptic

Jeffrey Nonken jjn.lugod at nonken.net
Fri Jul 11 09:13:46 PDT 2008

Running Edubuntu 8.04 on an old laptop. (Fujitsu Lifebook B-2130) 30gb
hard drive, 192 mb RAM.

It includes a built-in 10/100 ethernet connection. I've been using a D-
Link MA111 for my wireless (USB, 802.11b) which seems to work pretty
well. But the computer is old and slow and the batteries are toast,
and my MacBook works fine, so mostly I've just been using the Lifebook
for unattended stuff like Bittorrent. Since it's always plugged in
anyway and I want to transfer files on and off, it makes sense to
leave it on the wired network.

Problem is, Synaptic doesn't work properly on the wired network. This
includes the main package manager, the update manager, and the "Add/
Remove" utility under the "Applications" menu.

What happens is I start it up, it works fine, lets me "check", select,
and so on. When I hit Apply it starts spinning and never stops. It
doesn't ask me for a password. The system continues to work otherwise,
but the package manager is stuck. ... It even seems to be alive! It
just never recovers, and never gives up. I've let it go for hours just
to see what happens.

If I run it with the wireless it works fine. But the wired has to be
unplugged, otherwise the machine automatically switches over to the
wired network and Synaptic uses that. And fails, of course.

I've done some web searching but haven't found reference to this
problem yet. Any suggestions?