[vox-tech] Using a VM to simulate old hardware

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 7 01:09:40 PDT 2008

I don't think that's going to be feasible.  There's just too many variables
that could make a factor of 10 difference.  Things like memory bandwidth,
bitblt in the video card, cpu performance, cache sizes, memory size, memory
latency, etc.

I'd just attack it from the opposite angle.  Instrument tuxpaint to give
things like frame rate, number of pointer updates/sec, and maybe memory
utilization and put up a webpage for folks to contribute their results...

The one thing I think you could manage is to see for a particular OS if a
certain amount of memory is enough.