[vox-tech] sharing a printer with samba

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sat Jan 26 12:39:53 PST 2008

Henry House wrote:
> I've never used samba before (happily i have no windows machines of my own).
> However, i would like to share a printer so that my housemate can use it. I
> can't get it to work and i suspect an access-control, problem. As far as I can
> tell the smb server is not accepting jobs from the client. I've configured
> smb.conf like so:
>
> [global]
> workgroup = home
> netbios name = Samba
> encrypt passwords = true
> printing = bsd
> printcap name = /etc/printcap
> load printers = yes
> log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
> lock directory = /var/lock/samba
>
> [xerox]
> comment = Xerox laser printer --- use this one
> path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
> printer name = lp
> writable = yes
> public = yes
> printable = yes
> print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s
>
> The server is running Ubuntu Gutsy with lprng spooler. Local printing on
> the server works perfectly.
>
> Here are the relevant log lines from a client (Ubuntu Gutsy with CUPS spooler):
>
> E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:11 +0000] [Job 19] Unable to connect to CIFS host after (tried 3 times)
> E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:11 +0000] PID 22372 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb) stopped with status 1!
> E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:15 +0000] PID 22371 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 9!
> E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:15 +0000] PID 22371 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 9!

I haven't had much difficulty with samba configuration by following recipes,
so I hardly know many ways it can fail.  However, I don't see anything
in your conf about guest access... see "man smb.conf" and look for guest
options.  It also seems odd that you are using the lpr spool directory for
samba spooling... I am under the impression that samba accepts the spool
file and then hands off to lpr, which should be the program that has access
to the lpr spool directory.  The guest user (usually "nobody") should have
permissions to access to the samba spool directory.

Alternatively you can add your roommate as a samba user (completely separate
from Unix username) and let them log in when they want to print.

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing