[vox-tech] sharing a printer with samba

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Sat Jan 26 11:52:29 PST 2008

On 2008-01-26, wrote Bill Wells:
> On Friday 25 January 2008 19:49:05 Henry House wrote:
> > I've never used samba before (happily i have no windows machines of my
> > own). However, i would like to share a printer so that my housemate can use
> > it. I can't get it to work and i suspect an access-control, problem. As far
> > as I can tell the smb server is not accepting jobs from the client. I've
> > configured smb.conf like so:
> >
> > [global]
> > workgroup = home
> > netbios name = Samba
> > encrypt passwords = true
> > printing = bsd
> > printcap name = /etc/printcap
> > load printers = yes
> > log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
> > lock directory = /var/lock/samba
> >
> > [xerox]
> > comment = Xerox laser printer --- use this one
> > path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
> > printer name = lp
> > writable = yes
> > public = yes
> > printable = yes
> > print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s
> >
> > The server is running Ubuntu Gutsy with lprng spooler. Local printing on
> > the server works perfectly.
> >
> > Here are the relevant log lines from a client (Ubuntu Gutsy with CUPS
> > spooler):
> >
> > E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:11 +0000] [Job 19] Unable to connect to CIFS host
> > after (tried 3 times) E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:11 +0000] PID 22372
> > (/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb) stopped with status 1! E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:15
> > +0000] PID 22371 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 9!
> > E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:15 +0000] PID 22371
> > (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 9!
>
> lpr and cups do not play together nicely.

Grr. I hate CUPS because:

- it's very very difficult to make custom input filters (at least in my
  experience) while this is easy with lprng
- its error logging is often unhelpful
- it is a heavyweight system that is overkill for typical postscript
  printers
- running cups causes CUPS-aware applications to disable non-CUPS
  printing options (so I can't for example use the virtual printers I
  have defined in openoffice that pipe the printout to KPDF or
  ghostview)

I'd really prefer to stick with lprng, at least on the server.

In fact, I've determined that printing from clients works just fine with
authentication (password and username set in /etc/samba/smbpasswd. So my
issue is really just how to make samba accept jobs from unauthenticated
users.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13